Mexican Cold-Front Soup
Chicken & Chorizo Soup with Rice.
- 12 cups chicken stock
- 4 bone-in, skinless chicken thighs
- 12 oz chorizo
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 5 stalks celery
- 1 large onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 2 ears corn (kernels only)
- 2 pasilla chilies
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground cracked pepper
- 3/4 cup long grain rice
- Zest of two limes
- Juice of three limes
- 4 small tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 green onion
- 3 tablespoons cilantro
- 1 lime (garnish)
- 2 avocados (garnish)
- tortilla chips (garnish)
- Bring stock and chicken to a boil, cooking chicken thoroughly.
- Strain the stock and set aside. Allow chicken to cool, then pull chicken off the bone and set aside.
- Remove chorizo from casings. Add chorizo and olive oil to a pot over medium heat. Once brown, small dice the celery, onion and bell peppers, and add them to the pot.
- Cook for five minutes, then add corn kernels, pulled chicken and small diced pasilla chilies.
- Add granulated garlic, cumin, cayenne pepper, chili powder, salt and freshly ground cracked pepper.
- Add stock to pot. Once stock comes back to a boil, add rice, lime zest and lime juice.
- Turn heat down to very low simmer. Allow to cook for 30 minutes.
- Turn heat back up to a medium simmer and add tomatoes.
- In a separate bowl, combine cornstarch and water. Once stock comes back to a boil, add cornstarch/water mixture to pot (this is not to thicken the soup, but to add body).
- Add chopped green onions and cilantro. Cook for two minutes, and you're ready to bowl up.
- Garnish your dish with lime wedges, cubed avocado and crispy tortillas.
Share this Recipe